Tuesday, July 31, 2012

My Favorite Bit of Yesterday

Heads up, this first one doesn't really count as a DIY project. I did "Do It [My]self" but it was more of a follow-the-pictures-and-put-it-together project. I am still proud of myself though. ;)
Yesterday I snagged this bookshelf from Big Lots for only $19! I was pretty thrilled. Of course, when I opened the box, it looked like this:
I sent this photo to the hubs at work. The text just said "Help."
He called me a pansy, so of course I had to prove him wrong by
building the thing.
About an hour later (sorry, no in-progress photos- I was focused!), I had a bookshelf! It is certainly not the sturdiest thing (come on, what do you expect from Big Lots), but it works perfectly for what I bought it for: holding movies, Xbox games, and so living room paraphernalia:
When my husband got home, he reinforced the 
shelves so now it is much better :)
Other than the bookshelf, I did some other- more legitimate- DIY crafts: I hung some cork tiles in what I affectionately call the "Hobby Closet" (it is a desk in a double doored closet type thing-- pictures later), repainted a pegged mini-coat rack, and built a craft shelf out of some leftover wood and plant hanger/hooks. Pretty successful day as far as crafting is concerned.
Today I need to get some brackets to hang the shelf, and finally purchase a glue gun- I really need one. The project of the day is these fabric covered storage boxes from a blog I discovered yesterday called "Make It, Love It". A happy little coincidence since I was out yesterday looking to buy such boxes and couldn't find any I liked. These homemade ones will be perfect! Can you guess what I'll be using for the inner cardboard? Yup, the box the bookshelf came in! ;)

...Confession: I lied. I was claiming the success of my first putting-together-a-bookshelf was my favorite part of the day, but it wasn't. 
Favorite part of the day (for real) : Around midnight, my husband found me asleep on the couch and, rather than waking me up, just scooped me up and tucked me in bed. *Sighs* So sweet. (How do I know he did this if I was asleep? Well, first, duh, I woke up in my own bed rather than on the couch. Secondly, I am a pretty light sleeper and I felt him picking me up, but I decide to just lay my head on his chest and let him carry me. Can you blame me?). I love married life.

No comments:

Post a Comment