Thursday, August 2, 2012

That Darn Achilles

Seven weeks before my wedding, my then-fiance and I signed up to run a 10K that was the weekend prior to our wedding (I know, crazy us). For him, this was no big deal; as a military guy running is nearly second nature to him. For me, a city girl, this was HUGE. I couldn't even run one mile- let alone the 6+ that are in a 10K. But I figured I would be motivated so, what the heck. Two weeks later I was running 2 miles every morning and most evenings for a total of 4 miles a day. I was pretty happy. I even splurged on some fancy/functional running shoes (Asics). Then I went home for spring break, which meant no more gym, which meant no more treadmill...which meant running outside. I thought it was no big deal, but after only one run I was in so much pain I had to call a podiatrist (foot and ankle doctor). My appointment the following day came with some bad news: I had (have) Achilles Tendonitis and the very early stages of heel spurs. Basically, the tendons in my heel are only in the 75 percentile-- too short. Normally, I wouldn't have noticed a difference, but running strained them to pain. The developing heel spurs were a result of the unnatural distribution of weight on my feet and ankles when I run with not-completely-functional tendons.
Long story short, I am forbidden to run for one year (seven months left now) and I also can't wear high heels. I have to daily stretch my calves and ankles, and wear custom insoles in my shoes. Lots of hassle, no fun... and no 10K. (Secretly, friends, I was a tad relieved at not having to run it, but totally bummed about the rest of the prognosis).
Why am I telling this story?
Well, I was looking rather dismayed at my lack-of-abs tonight and, after a talk with my workout savvy husband, realized I needed cardio along with the ab workouts. Cardio, aka running. Well, we know that's out, so what's left? Yeah, I don't know either. Swimming? Bicycling? We'll see. Ideally, I'll lose ten pounds this month. Hey, it is August first, why not have a month goal?
Also, I saw some New Balance running shoes that I now want.

No comments:

Post a Comment